-->

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Thrifted Hallowe'en dishes

Twice in the past month I've just had a feeling that I needed to go thrifting, and that I'd find some vintage dishes for my Hallowe'en table place setting -- and I did, and I did! The top set is by Johnson Brothers, and I only bought one place setting (plus one serving bowl) because most of them were in very poor condition and overpriced for having their patterns completely worn off. 


The second set is Alfred Meakin (my fave!) and although is not a complete set, there were about 25 pieces and all are in great condition. 


I'm very excited to use these dishes for a family dinner later in October. :)

Sunday, October 02, 2016

halloween fabric pull

I can't believe I want to make a Hallowe'en quilt!! I've pulled all of my black and white fabrics, some lovely acid/apple/lime greens, and the few purples I have (purchased by accident), and have set them aside until some Hallowe'eny inspiration strikes. 


I think I'd like to make a string quilt, or possibly something with stars. Not super sure, yet. 

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

hexagon baby quilt pattern and specifications


Here are some pattern details for this diamond baby quilt.
Finish size: approx 33" x 48 inches

To make this quilt, I used an equilateral triangle quilt ruler and cut out half hexagon shapes from 3 1/4" strips of fabric. I used 28 strips of fabric in total, and used around 22-24 different fabrics for this quilt.

To construct this quilt I used:
- 50 full hexagons (100 half hexagons cut)
- 8 half hexagons for the left and right sides (cut from scraps)
- 10  half hexagons for the top and bottom (20 pieces total, cut from scraps)

To sew this together, I laid the entire thing out on my dining room table. I'm sure there's an easier way, but I didn't plan well, and ended up drawing a 1/4" seam line on each angled piece of each half hexagon (the top and bottom, if you're looking at the quilt the way it's displayed above), and used these  pencil markings to line up the pieces accurately. Otherwise, the half hexagons didn't line up accurately along the left and right sides. 

Once the top was sewn together, I used the same tutorial from Red Pepper Quilts that I used to finish my neutral diamond baby quilt.

Monday, June 13, 2016

baby girl hexagon quilt finish

Another baby quilt -- finished, gifted, and loved. :) 

I made this hexagon baby quilt for a co-worker who is expecting her first baby (a girl! any day now -- she was born today, the day of this post!). I tried to use as little pink as possible as I knew she wasn't a girly-girl pink fan, and during construction of this quilt heard she was painting the baby's room light apple green -- and was able to throw in some green, which I think fit in quite nicely. :)

I used my equilateral triangle quilt ruler to cut half hexagons for this quilt, then sewed them into columns, and sewed the columns together to make the quilt. I used spray starch for this quilt (something I lamented not having or using for the other baby quilt I made this spring), and it really did make sewing these bias-cut pieces so much easier and neater. 

I didn't worry about fussy-cutting any fabrics, excepting for this sweet print. :)

It crinkled nicely after washing and drying! It felt so lovely I nearly didn't want to part with it. :)

This organic molecule print was such a perfect find... the only choice, really, for the quilt from a scientist to a fellow scientist. :)

For more quilty progress, plus other stuff I like, follow me on Instagram: Mistress of Science